Getting a little closer to the finish line! Some possible freelance jobs have been taking up some of my time, but I'm still working on this piece. I redid the pine tree I had attempted at the beginning, and feel like it fits the concept much better now. I also made a few flowers, grass planes and a tiling grass and dirt texture. I like the grass, as I feel like it has the angular square shapes of the concept, though there is one spot that tiles a little noticeably. Once I put these on the terrain I will see how the blend and adjust accordingly. The dirt on the other hand I'm still not quite happy with. I think it is close to the concept, but still might be a little too blobby, since the concept is pretty angular. Again, I'll see how well it will work once I can test it on the terrain. The cobblestone has been redone as well; I wanted to use it for the balcony and for the few stones scattered on the dirt path, so I still need to make a couple simple meshes for that.
Next I will be working on the large boulders in the concept, and some panning textures for the water. I also need to create a cliff texture and sculpt the terrain. There are some smaller details I want in there, so I'm not sure if it would be better to sculpt and import as a static mesh, or create it in engine. I still haven't done much in UE4 yet, so I will start implementing all my current assets soon.
I've gotten a lot done since the last update! I have pretty much finished all the textures for the castle, though I am still tweaking the overall colors and some details. I want to start focusing on the rest of the scene so that I can make sure everything blends together well. So far I still have everything in Marmoset (unlit diffuse only), so I know some of the things will also look different once I get them into UE4, and I am excited to play with some lighting for the windows to give them a better glow.
So far I can see that I need to make some improvements on details of some of the textures, since they read better up close, but I want to wait until it is in engine to see how much I will need to do. I could have probably also planned out the texture sheets a little better, but so far I am pretty happy with everything. Here's a sample of all the textures I have so far.
Now that everything is modeled and UVed, I'll also be exaggerating the silhouette of the main building to give it some more style. Next I think it would be a good idea to get the terrain sculpted, or at least get a better block out of that for prop and rock/tree placement. Since I want this to be a full 360 diorama, I plan to make a small pond behind the castle as a source for the waterfall you can see on the left.