Here's my final update for the piece! You can see there was quite a few changes from the last post. To start here's a comparison between my reference and the final:
Previously I mentioned that I was going to change the proportions and add a more stylized silhouette to the caravan so here are those comparisons:
Overall I'm happy with the outcome, and as always improvements can be made. I think I got a good grip on the basics of Substance Painter, which I used exclusively for the emotional baggage replicas. Looking forward to working more with that and honing in on my material definitions and lighting in UE4! Link to final renders in the Props section.
I know it's been awhile but between some recent freelance work I've been busy! After a recent playthrough of Psychonauts, I felt inspired to recreate a small scene using concepts and reference from the game. I really liked the caravan you see during Raz's training and before the Meat Circus, so I thought that and some emotional baggage would fit together nicely.
Here's a sample of the images I'm working from:
I've gotten a good blockout done already (below), and plan to separate out all the unique pieces and then take those into Zbrush. After that I'll be attempting to do the rest of the texturing process with Substance Painter! Really really excited to try that out. Lastly, I plan to present the whole thing in UE4 with a small ground piece for it all to sit on.
Today I wanted to post some progress on the side project I am working on. I found the following concept on Artstation. I really enjoy working in a hand painted style, and chose this concept specifically to help me work on more organic elements like trees, grass, and rocks, as well as continue to improve other materials as well.
I started out with a blockout of everything to make sure my scale was correct. While I have been testing the models and textures in Marmoset, I hope to implement everything into UE4 for the final project and play around with trying to make fire, the swirly green aura around the castle, and a functioning waterfall. Here's a simple blockout with a couple more detailed pieces:
I decided to tackle the small props first, in order to help cement the style I am working in. Currently everything only has a diffuse texture, though I'll need to add some normal/specular maps depending on how it begins to look in engine, but I'll tackle that when I get there. These are pretty much in a finished state but I will revisit them later and use them to make sure everything else has a coherent style. I could probably also optimize the poly count quite a bit more, but I like the softer silhouettes, so for now I'm going to keep them where they are because I still feel like they fit the style of the piece.
My next post will feature the woodwork and roof of the castle, which I already have a pretty good start on. Until next time, thanks for reading!